Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ricky Hatton...Royalty?


Ricky Hatton has stated that this upcoming bout with Manny Pacquiao is his chance to gain the coveted title of Pound for Pound King, but I don't know how that could be possible.

The title of Pound for Pound King is reserved for those very few fighters who consistently beat the best and are universally considered the best all-around fighters. It's not like a belt, where you put it up for grabs and an opponent can take it from you. Rather, it's a recognition by fans, critics and peers and most certainly cannot be won from one fight.

I don't mean to disrespect Ricky Hatton - I actually really enjoy watching him fight, but it seems a bit arrogant and dare I say, hopeful-bordering-upon-desperate that he would hinge the Pound for Pound title on this fight. Beating the Pound for Pound King is certainly an achievement, but it doesn't mean anything other than a boost in bragging rights. I mean, would Oscar de la Hoya have been considered the Pound for Pound best had he beaten Pacquiao last December as almost everyone had predicted? Truthfully, it had never been discussed because it would have been a ridiculous conversation. (Although it may have been more likely in his case, since he owns 'The Ring' magazine...)

Ricky Hatton does not deserve to be recognized as the Pound for Pound King if he beats Manny Pacquiao on May 2, 2009.

There. I said it.

But that's just my opinion.

1 comment:

  1. I think you need a series of wins over a variety of opponents to get that crown. If Ricky were to beat Manny, I don't think he'd be p4p. Instead, it'd probably go to Sugar Shane Mosley, Bernard Hopkins, or Juan Manuel Marquez.

    ReplyDelete